CaffèInsights - Episode Eight
Alice Rendle is MD of Edgcumbes in Arundle, Sussex. She runs a strongly diversified business incorporating tea blending, coffee roasting - trade and retail - and a successful cafe. The business has recently invested strongly in developing an online presence.
In this highly practical interview John and Alice discuss:
- The need for all businesses to be flexible and consider "what can I do?" in terms of generating cash now - even during lockdown.
- How to develop a takeaway offer that is simple, fast and profitable.
- Why she has focused heavily on the local community and local suppliers and why this will continue to serve her business well.
- How she has used local radio, during this time, to great success - to generate immediate cash and long term new customers.
- Why you need to be a bit "Barrow Boy" during this phase.
- The importance of ruthlessly examining your current business and fixing any equipment or operational processes.
- The importance of staying "very lean" during this phase, despite the current very strong profits from her cafe, because the next phase is going to be very difficult.